21 Şubat 2013 Perşembe

Cooley's Corner Cafe Review

To contact us Click HERE

The restaurant is very small, probably not more than 30 people could be seated comfortably in the two dining rooms. This is not a smoke free diner; however, the only one I saw smoking was the server when she took a break. The restaurant is connected to an old-fashioned country store, a throwback to the Mom and Pop stores of the 70’s.

They have a full greasy-spoon menu: breakfast all day (but no biscuits after 10:00, only toast), lunch plates, burgers and sandwiches. The big deal on the weekend is the all-you-can-eat catfish (Friday/Saturday/Sunday), and you have your choice of whole or fillet. It comes with fries, hushpuppies, and slaw, all for $9.79. Another popular item is the chicken tender plate, with a price tag of $7.50. The local patrons tell me that the hamburgers are very good, but we opted for the fish on our visit. The hushpuppies would have been better, I think, had they been fried half the size they were. They reminded me of fried cornbread. I do not recommend the tea, which tasted like a mix instead of freshly brewed, nor do I recommend water with lemon, as the lemon was juice, and not a fresh wedge.
The service was slow, but the food was pretty good. However, we waited a long time for our food, and it wasn’t busy when we ordered. The server finally brought my food, but not my husband’s. After the long wait, my food was only warm, not hot. When my husband’s food finally arrived around five minutes later, it was hot. He had whole fish, I ordered the fillet. Both of us liked our lunch, even with my handicap of it being only warm.
If you’re looking for fine dining, you won’t find it here. However, if you’re in the mood for some southern deep-fried food and friendly atmosphere, this could be your place. Everyone knows everyone else, and they call you by name. If they don't know your name, they bother to find out. One gentleman stopped to introduce himself to us on his way out, and chatted away for a good ten minutes. The tables around could hear our conversation, and answered the questions we asked each other when we obviously didn’t know the answer, such as where the restroom was located. I am not a people person, but it was interesting to find out how many people these folks and my husband knew in common.

I only saw the one server, and I assumed she did the cooking as well, but I asked one of the local patrons, and she clarified that there was indeed a cook. The dining area was as clean as it could be for a greasy-spoon, the health department rating was 95.

They accept local checks only. You can use a debit card; however, they run it through the store, not the restaurant. No 100’s before noon.

When I see a sign like this, it throws up a red flag. When I asked an employee if the sign meant that certain people were not welcome, she assured me that the owners, Leonard and Geneva Rainey, reserved the right to not serve people with no shirt or shoes. (Maybe that's been a problem for them in the past.)

Restaurant Hours:Monday – Thurs. 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.Friday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.Sunday 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Address:8250 County Road 189
Florence, AL 35633(256) 760-1762


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder